Thursday, September 25, 2008

Equinox Magic

Fall has arrived with the days after the equinox cooling from 105 to the 80’s. The Golden Gate fog is the gray background, foreground of water and sky as a beech tree begins, like us, to change to our fall wardrobe.

Sitting on the deck, I harvest this first fall week as the planet 'up rights' itself into the plumb erect posture the Pilates teachers preach and the cycle of precious light continues to defuses for an entire season. The sun bows away and we accelerate an inner harvest of work and gratitude toward source.


(Source-when I am present without demands or expectations, or beliefs, my attention is free and unlimited even by ‘I am’ Gary, just-a-guy.

For One’s lifelong work is to trust thy self, the Source.)

And the ever-present story of whenever two or more are gathered in my name continues.

Chang Tzu, long dead Taoist, tells the story of a master craftsman who made beautiful things of wood. They were so exquisite the King demanded to know the secret of his art.

Your Highness,” said the carpenter, there is no secret; but there’s something. This is how I begin.:


“When I am about to make a table, I first collect my energies and bring my mind to absolute quietness.(Source)

I become oblivious of any reward to be gained or any fame to be acquired. When I am free from the influences of all such outer considerations, I can listen to the inner voice, which tells me clearly what I have to do.

When my skill is thus concentrated, I take up my ax; I make sure that it is perfectly sharp, that it fits my hand and swings with my arm. Then I enter the forest.


“I look for the right tree; the tree that is waiting to become my table. And when I find it, I ask:

What have I for you, and what have you for me?”


“Then I cut down the tree and set to work.”

“I remember how my master taught me to bring my skill and my thought into relation with the natural qualities of the wood.”


The King said, “When the table is finished, it has a magical effect on me; I cannot treat it as I would any other table.“What is the nature of the magic?”

“Your Majesty,”said the carpenter, what you call magic only comes from what I have already told you.”

Namaste
gary

No comments: