Monday, July 28, 2008

The crystallization of attitudes or oops another identity.

The crystallization of attitudes, or how identities take over.
It’s fun to try on new attitudes, different viewpoints.
As a professional judgment machines I swing through the gamut of beliefs and find it’s worth taking a look and to step into the shoes of different folks. It’s like Halloween, trying on diverse costumes, but many costumes are so enticing that if I give them enough attention they solidify and I identify with the costume. The cowboy, the princess, The Village People, Superman, Wonder Woman, the hobo, all new experiences, but I am challenged by horses, my princess is picky about peas under mattress, the Village People are cool to dance to YMCA in aerobics class, and tying on a cape or a rubber bustier is acceptable in San Francisco, as are the homeless. I was stuck for a while as the Construction Worker, and my pink complexion is reddening so I could be the Indian, but never a Cop. Those are costumes. When we look in the mirror we can recognize that that this is not I. But what if it happens with attitudes? What if our judgments become our identities? “Danger danger Will Robinson. *
Aging is not just a battle of the bulge, hairlines, and wrinkles but the hardening of the attitudes. The skepticism I feel and see with us baby boomers is in believing as Ram Dass said 40 years ago, “I am my Chevy Corvair.” I am my attitude, attached to the truly deadly sins.** My current list of sins:
Having to be right,
Already knowing that E
I can’t make a mistake G
Political Correctness O
Religious Rightness –one wayisms
Whatever or like whatever....
Blame
Litigation
Boredom
Laziness
Hate
So how to melt the crystallization and return to aging as being Elders in training?
I go to seminars, write Avatar Fry Days, wear my Grandpa hat, know that paying attention is my beat investment in the future, and keep in touch with great buddies.
Asking, curiosity, interest, following attraction all offer freerer forms of attention. If you're attention becomes fixed, can an attitude be far away?
Thanks!
Namaste, Gary
My mythology comes somewhat from my Nana’s Fairy Tales, but largely television and rock N roll. I apologize to my writing instructor for the indulgence in adverbs. Sins are enough without being deadly, but holding death is a great re-member-er to hold the preciousness of life.

No comments: