Monday, August 4, 2008

Varieties of Attention

I am on a mission. A pure mission to share ATTENTION, but there is more than one type of ATTENTION, and some types are counterproductive.

When training clients it's counterproductive to have my ATTENTION FIXED.

Time is an issue and it fixes my ATTENTION when people are late.

Where is my ATTENTION?
@It’s important to share the material.
@Better late than never.
@Better late, with attention on empowering the audience than fixing one’s attention on a clock.

I started by acknowledging where my ATTENTION is fixed:
@I am not prepared.
@Who do I think I am?
@They won’t show up.
@They’ll forget the book.
@This is a tough class.
@They’ll hate me.
@This is just like school and they hate school.

Handling FIXED ATTENTION means decide to change. (Change is inevitable, but FREE ATTENTION is not), acknowledge where your ATTENTION is. Then move it to another object. Repeat this process till the FIXATION loses its glue and slides easily from one object, thought, emotion, sensation, desire or wherever you want it to be. With ATTENTION in a fluid state it's a good time to create goals, aims, & move toward your compelling future.

The process of letting go of stuck ATTENTION also works on the other kinds of ATTENTION:


My BIASED ATTENTION:
@They don’t care.
@There uninterested.
@They are going to resist.


My OTHER DIRECTED ATTENTION:
@I don’t have to do this.
@I’m not getting paid enough for this.
@This is weird.


My DISORIENTED ATTENTION:
@I can’t pay enough attention to do the exercise.
@I wish I was somewhere, anywhere else.
@I can’t pay attention THIS time of the month.
@These hot flashes.
@What’s this all about?

FREE ATTENTION creates participation, the key to making life a PARTY.

Namaste, Gary
And then THEY PARTICIPATED!

No comments: