Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Season of Harvest



Many centuries ago a very wise Greek, named Aesop began telling moral tales.

They were called Fables, Latin for ‘little talk.’

These talks set a tone for the Seasons of the Harvest.

In a field one summer's day a Grasshopper was hopping about, chirping and singing to its heart's content. An Ant passed by, bearing along with great toil an ear of corn he was taking to the nest.

"Why not come and chat with me," said the Grasshopper, "instead of toiling and slaving away?"

"I am helping to lay up food for the winter," said the Ant, "and recommend you to do the same."

"Why bother about winter?" said the Grasshopper; we have got plenty of food at present."


But the Ant went on its way and continued its toil.


When the winter came the Grasshopper found itself dying of hunger, while it saw the ants distributing, every day, corn and grain from the stores they had collected in the summer.

As with tales that tell a truth, it contain many truths.

Ants are really strong.
Grasshoppers have very little use for the future.
Save now.
But For me it speaks of time to prepare to harvest:
So-Sew

What seeds have you sown?
I planted, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, rosemary, basil, squashes. And with weeding, watering and fertilizer that’s what I got. A harvest of fresh food to make the ants happy and feed a few freeloading grasshoppers too.

What aims, goals and intentions did I plant?
I started with a presentation on Goals to Flow-ers at a Soropotist meeting. A speech on how our goals become the fruits of our efforts and how when firmly planted goals become the flowers of whom we are.

I found the words that form our Pity Pot, the consume’ of our Stinkin Thinkin and SHARED the deodorant for Stinkin Thinkin.

I planted seeds to handle my peers who have been caught by their own critic, got the disease of cynicism and are headed into being a curmudgeon-the person who throws the wet blanket over our enthusiasm and appreciation. I answered the challenge of the curmudgeon with our greatest tool humor.

I bid you come with you now, into the seasons of Holidays with a taste of what the holidays can become BECAUSE:
We can reap compassion in a challenging economy.
We can share kindness with all.
We can harvest the fruits of our labor, making work-love made visible.

For the fall plant a fall seed of Holidays.

Of holy days to come.

Of being grateful for each moment.

Start by putting real meaning into Halloween, change your costume and change who you are, find new ways to look at life, get an attitude adjustment, to have fun.

Followed on November 1 by a reverence for All Saints day.

All, everyone as a SAINT that day.

And on the American Thanksgiving I make gratitude lists and extort over grace the thanksgiving of our bounty.

I celebrate holidays I barely understand, Hanukka and Kwanzaa, searching for meaning and respect for others' ritual. Respect for that I may not understand.

And then on a bedraggled Christmas I ponder the multitude of meanings given to a day of commercial magnitude and of good cheer, goodwill and excited grandkids.

And a new start on New Year’s Day, that you can extend all the way to A Chinese New Year.

To make ReSoultions to what I want to create in 2010.

Begin now as each day grows shorter, to lengthen your compassion, your kindness, your gratitude for the miracle you are.

Plant your seeds.

Bring your harvest home with aliveness, enthusiasm and appreciation.

Because if you are not appreciating this moment, what are you doing?

No comments: