Friday, April 17, 2009

Framed?

I love framing. All life is framed.


Framing a building, creating the ribs and skeleton of a structure where it’s possible to walk through walls. I earned a living in the 1970’s framing.


In the 1980’s I meet the Ricki’s, my Metalinguistic Institute NLP trainers and learned about reframing-whats another way of looking at this/that? And the ways we frame life. I remember the Ecology frame, Family frame, Survival frame, Spiritual frame, Fun frame, and my favorite, the just for the hell of it frame. I became good at framing ideas, eventually creating Avatar Fry Days, blogs and The Sunday Sermon of The Church of Attention.

Later in the 1980’s I became a fan of framing pictures. A passion grown first with the salon hair gallery, then into themes, hands, my Art Deco mode, the credos and mottos, ancient wisdom, Art Nouveau, the Who Are You prints, Raleen’s flower art, collages, Hollywood’s glamour age, and the family & friends. Now those frames are boxed, another way of containing a structure, separating this from that, cataloging where and what it is.


Frames on my glasses have become important, especially the green frames that neutralizes my red eyeball scar, covering the gravity around my eyes.






Framed amongst the redwood trees, the cabin popped out to greet us.

Framed within the soft chords of the guitar, the flute spoke of distant dances.

Framed inside an island of safety, we believed many things.

Sitting on my porch watching the sunset and listening to Joni Mitchell sing Coyote, I was amused by her framing of the song, with the chorus creating a frame. Both as a way to contain the characters and theme, and how like the choir in Greek theater, the voice from above, a right angle to the action. Another way, often a divine way, of looking at a subject, from the edges, the frame, over the fence like the cartoon Kilroy.

Grandmothers telling nursery rhymes, fairy tales, begin the frame with Once upon a time and bring us to completition with and they lived happily ever after or simply The End.
It’s all-possible within a frame. Time and space are at your command.

Feeling confined, make a bigger frame.



Feeling confused make a clearer frame, or add some mirrors.

Feeling separate and alone, add characters.

Feeling overwhelmed, use some ‘white out, take an eraser, or lift the screen on your etch-a-sketch.

An interesting twist is to take the frame to the past, as in “I was framed,” lose creativity and freedom amongst the paranoid delusion of victim hood.

What frames do you love?

No comments: